Friday, October 24, 2008

Drum Roll Please





So I have worked on the birthday cakes for the last 2 days. This was the first time that I have ever attempted buttercream transfers. I learned a lot from myself. Like use large coloring sheets with no as much detail. And don't use so many colors. I had to make like 12 different icing colors. I used a whole bottle of blue food coloring. Making your own black coloring takes a lot of blue. So those of you who have never done this, this is what you do: Jackson wanted Buzz Lightyear, Woody, Jesse, Bullseye, The pig, Rex, and Slinky on his cakes. So I found his coloring sheets, taped them to different cutting boards, put plastic wrap over and taped tight to the coloring sheets, then I made black buttercream icing and piped the outline to all of the outline on the sheets, then I made the different colors and piped them into the right spots, then I stuck them in the freezer, next year I need a smaller attachment for piping eyes and small details for the face, then you take your background color and thin it with karo syrup or milk and spread it over the character then freeze overnight. When you ice your cake or cakes in my situation. You take them out of the freezer flip them onto your cake where you want and then pipe a border around them. I think I had to make 4 batches of butter cream which is 4lb. of powdered sugar, 2c crisco, 2 c. of butter, vanilla, and 8 TBSP of milk total. I didn't have enough room for all the characters so I let Jackson pick a character and eat it. He chose Buzz so he ate Buzz Lightyear and had a huge sugar rush and lots of fits.

No comments: