Sunday, October 18, 2009

My FAVORITE time of year






It is my opinion that during harvest season, there is no place in the world prettier than the midwest. I love to see the corn and beans being harvested and all the gorgeous fall colors and the briskness in the air.

The kids and I headed to Mom and Dad's on Friday night after J got out of school so Eric could work on the notorious bathroom. Yes, we are almost done. The EDC (estimated date of completion) is in approximately 2 weeks. Yayyyy!!! Anyway, Dad and I took J over to Steve's this morning before the guys got into the field. J got to drive the combine and ride in the big tractor Pop drives with the auger cart. He had a ball. He had a bit of a meltdown when it was time to go.

I absolutely love harvest! My whole life harvest was a huge deal at my grandma and grandpa's house. For as long as I can remember we would go over to Mam and Pamps's and ride in the combine. Back then, they didn't have an extra seat so we would sit on a bucket in high school and college or when we were really little, 2 of us would ride at a time up on the back of Pamps's chair until we fell asleep back there. Dad and Ron always helped Pamps farm until they went to college. Then Mamma became his partner. He ran the combine and she ran the tractor and wagons and auger and she climbed up to see if the bins were full or hauled in to the elevator. We would help hook and unhook the wagons and to haul in. It was so much fun. I even skipped classes in college to come home and help. So I am thrilled J gets to experience what I did as a kid. When people asked me what I was going to be when I grew up, I always said I was going to marry a farmer so I could farm! Ha!

Picking corn is rushed this year because of the lateness and the farmers want it in fast since corn makes about 200 bushels/acre while beans make 60 bushels/acre. Now a days corn makes just about as much money as beans or more depeding on ethanol. Anyway, the moisture makes a difference. You don't want it to dry or the weight won't earn you enough money, but on the other hand, if it is too wet you get docked at the elevator or have to dry it in the bins or crib. So it is perfect right now so they won't stop until late at night. Dad has been getting home around 9pm. It was funny watching him and Steve, today. Steve doesn't stop as he picks, dad pulls up beside him with the auger cart and drives parallel to him while Steve dumps and picks at the same time. Dad and Steve even keep their lunches right beside them in the tractors and eat as they work. They don't get out until time to go home for the night. Beans won't be as stressful. So they had quite the setup today. Steve drove the combine, Dad drove the Magnum with the auger cart, and Luke and Chris each had a tractor with the wagons and they hauled to the Brocton elevator. It's a good thing they weren't hauling to the Oakland elevator. Oakland closed at 5pm on Sat. and today. That is a big "No no" during harvest season. We were coming back from the great grandparents on Sat. at 5pm and there were tractors lined up 2 miles in each direction and one of the farmers was having to direct traffic. Not very many happy farmers there!!

Sophi has croup and C started a horrible cough and woke up a lot last night. So the humidifiers are going strong tonight!

No comments: