Friday, December 12, 2008

NOT what I wanted for Christmas

Karma caught up with me, today. Growing up, even in college, I would bring home stray cats or dogs. When I was 16, I found a dog at school that other kids were being mean to; so I loaded him up in my Camaro and took him home. We had had dogs and cats growing up but since our move out by the golf course it was hard to keep dogs at home. I spent most of my summers chasing dogs on the golf course, loading them up in the car and getting them home. Anyway, I remember going to my grandparents' farm crying begging my grandma to take "M". My grandpa, immediately, said "yes". I'm sure to stop me from crying, but my grandma took some more convincing. They took him and he was a wonderful dog, as a matter of fact, he just passed away last year. In college, I took Jax and Lilly to the vet to get fixed and while there, I saw a white cat that had gotten hit and had a broken arm. I took him home and he was a total alpha male. He didn't get along with Jax so I convinced Mom and Dad to take Spike and they still have him to this day. So, Eric woke me up this morning and told me that Mellow had her puppies. For weeks, I told Eric that she was pregnant but was hoping I was wrong. I was hoping she was gaining a lot of winter weight. So I asked Eric how many pups there were, and he told me 3. I can totally deal with finding 3 homes. He was concerned that they weren't going to be warm enough. But they were in the garage on blankets and I told him I would check on them when I got up. I did and there were 5 puppies!!! So I call Mom and Dad wondering how I am going to find 5 homes for these pups!!! I go back out to make sure all of them are nursing and well and there are 7!!!! Yes, you read right, 7 puppies. They are half lab/half Golden Retriever. I have 5 black ones, 3 of which are all black, and 2 black with white paws, I have one white one with black spots, and one white one with brown spots. Please, please, please get the word out and let me know if anyone wants any dogs. They should be weaned by Jan. 18. Eric would keep all of them if I would let him. He didn't grow up with puppies all of his life. And, what comes to mind is no matter how high I put my shoes, swimming suits, towels, etc, the pups would always get them and chew everything up, including garden hose, etc. Seriously, I can't handle 9 dogs, a toddler, preschooler, new baby, and a needy husband (ha ha); I would go off the deep end. J was not too impressed. I told him he couldn't touch the puppies yet and he had to whisper otherwise Mellow would move them. Miss C, on the other hand, was so excited she just shook and squealed. I had to take her out of there because she was so loud. Buddy had been fixed since we first got him, but he is such a good step dad to give up his bed and he barks if anything comes near our yard. There is a black Chow that comes to visit our dogs, pretty much daily. He came in the yard, today, and I thought Buddy was going to shred him to pieces. He runs in sniffs the puppies, and nervously goes back out to the yard. So cute!!! He would have thought I would ever have to be the one to tell my family, "no more animals and we are finding homes for these pups!"

No comments: